Everyone A Gibsonite

Promotional photo for 1921 Gibson Mandolin Company "Catalog M". Ivers Mandolin Orchestra/Adams Plectrum Society, Adams, Massechusetts.

Members I can identify: Center Middle Row: Joseph Ivers, Orchestra leader, Gibson Mandolin Company Agent,and my Great Grandfather, Center Left Holding a Gibson F-4 Mary Ivers-Bassette, my Great Grandmother, Back Row from left: Leonore Ivers-Carmel, my Great Aunt, George Ivers, my Grandfather, Sitting in front, white dress, Doris Ivers-Hueston, my Great Aunt.

Page 21 Gibson Mandolin Catalog M: See right side second photo from bottom

Page 21 Gibson Mandolin Catalog M: See right side second photo from bottom
I recently discovered that this photo of my Great grandfather's Mandolin Orchestra appears on page 21 of the Gibson "M" catalog, published in 1921, confirming my theory that he (Joseph L. Ivers) was a Gibson "teacher-agent" or dealer, and that this photo was part of the "Everyone a Gibsonite" marketing campaign. Some of these instruments are still owned and played by Ivers family members. For example, my father Robert Ivers still plays the 1914 F4 in the center played by my Great Grandmother Mary Ivers in this photo. He also owns a 1921 H2 Mandola, no doubt pictured brand spanking new somewhere in this photo. I would love to try to contact other family members to see where some of these other instruments ended up.

Water Color "Grandfather's Mandolin" by Robert Ivers of Gibson F-4 #24532

Water Color "Grandfather's Mandolin" by Robert Ivers of Gibson F-4 #24532
Water Color Of My Great Grand Father's F4 painted by my Father, Robert Ivers. Look !!!!!!! Notice unintended ghost image of my Great Grandfather Joseph Ivers in upper left !

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Sounding Board Salesman Magazine

I found this publication very interesting. It's from 1920, and a was published by The Gibson Mandolin Company as a sales tool for Gibson agents like Joseph Ivers, my Great Grandfather. Evidently The Sounding Board Salesman came out a few times a year to keep Gibson Agents motivated and in the loop. Reading this provides some pretty interesting insight into how the Gibson Mandolin Company sold and distributed instruments through "agents" and the Mandolin Orchestras they formed throughout the world. Here's two of several goofy cartoon's that appear in this issue of the Magazine, Illustrating the company's difficulty in 1919 in keeping up with demand from the sales agents for product. Note the F-Style Male head and A-Style Female head:


Special Thanks to the Mandolin Archive for posting very readable scans of this interesting publication in their Documents section. http://www.mandolinarchive.com/documents/1920_sounding_board_salesman/cover.html

No comments:

Post a Comment